Find your answers to FAQs here

  • Can I put a speed bump on the road I live on?
    No. An individual cannot put any type of traffic control device up themselves. Most highway departments try to avoid speed bumps, speed tables and guard rails. While there may be a place for these devices many agencies find they create problems if not installed correctly and in the appropriate places.
  • Can my contractor put the driveway tile in?
    Yes. You will need to obtain the connection permit and have the site inspected before and after installation.
  • Can you put up a speed limit sign or lower the speed limit to slow people down?
    Yes. Changing the speed limit is done by ordinance of the Fiscal Court. Will it slow people down? Probably not.
  • How do I have a new driveway put in?
    A permit can be picked up at the Simpson County Judge Executives office or at the Simpson county Planning and Zoning office. After the permit is returned you will be contacted and asked to mark the location you would like the drive to be and then you will be given information on the length and diameter of tile needed. The property owner will have to purchase the tile and have it on site. The Simpson County Public Works Dept will install the tile and put the appropriate amount of gravel in place. The Public Works Dept will be responsible for maintaining the ditch line to allow drainage from the road surface and right of way. The maintenance of the driveway entrance/surface (gravel, asphalt, concrete, etc.) is the responsibility of the property owner, beginning at the point the entrance surface joins the asphalt of the county maintained road or the end of the road surface on a gravel road. The County is not responsible for any excavation work that may be needed to raise or lower the entrance site. The County is not responsible for moving any utilities that may be in conflict with the driveway installation.
  • Can I put a post, fence or rocks at the edge of the road to keep people out of my yard.
    Unless otherwise stated on your deed, the county right of way is 15 feet from the center of the road or to an existing fence row. Nothing should be placed in the right of way. Anything that is in the right of way should be on a breakaway post.
  • Can you put up a children at play sign in the neighborhood?
    No. Children at play signs are not MUTCD approved. It has been considered by some people that the sign is suggesting to children, especially older children that this gives them permission to play in the street.
  • Should I use a galvanized or plastic tile?
    Both are acceptable. A galvanized tile stays in place better and has less movement over time.
  • How do I Contact my Fiscal Court (Governing Body)
    County Judge Executive Mason Barnes 270.586.7184 Office North Magistrate Scott Poston 270.647.2814 Cell South Magistrate Myron Thurman 270.392.5575 Cell East Magistrate Marty Chandler 270.392.0359 Cell West Magistrate Nathaniel Downey 757.749.5041 Cell County Attorney Sam Phillips 270.586.3830 For General Questions call 270-586-7184 All Mail Fiscal Court Should be Sent to PO Box 242 Franklin, KY 42135-0242
  • How Do I Get a Vehicle Inspection
    Vehicle Inspection All vehicles purchased out of state must be inspected by the sheriff's office before applying for a Kentucky title. There is a $5.00 charge for inspections performed at the sheriff's office and $15.00 for off-site. Click here for a blank application for Kentucky certificate of title or registration. You can call the Sheriff Office at 270-586-7425 or visit them at  203 E Kentucky St, Franklin, KY 42134 Inspection check list: VIN verification in 2 places Odometer reading Horn - working order Intact windshield (no cracks or holes) Window tint - 35% or higher on front driver/passenger doors, 18% rear driver/passenger doors and rearview window. No tint is allowed below the manufacturers AS-1 line (5 inches from top) on the front windshield. Windshield wipers - working order Headlights (high beams and low beams) - working order Turn signals (right, left, front, rear) - working order Brake lights - working order Reverse lights - working order
  • How do I Sign Up for Emergency Alerts
    Simpson County ALERT is a free service that allows you to sign up and receive notifications about emergencies that may affect the locations you care about. This service allows emergency response agencies to send out accurate and up-to-date information about incidents that may have a significant impact to residents. These emergency alerts could be related to specific hazards that require action be taken such as evacuation, shelter in place, boil water, etc. In addition to receiving information on your wireless device, you may also sign up to receive notification on a traditional landline phone. Adding your address will provide you with geographically targeted alerts when an emergency impacts your specific location.
    All listed landline phone numbers have already been programmed into the system, but since many people no longer have a home phone or primarily use their mobile devices, SCOEM encourages citizens to register their cell phone with Simpson County ALERT. The system can make thousands of calls in a minute to convey vital information.Click here to Sign Up Now
  • Comments are closed.

    Close Search Window